Dates: March 31 & April 1, 2016
Location: David L. Lawrence Convention Center, Downtown Pittsburgh
Conference Website: http://greenschoolsconference.org/
- Plenary Speaker – Dr. Chris Emdin, STEM Professor (Columbia University Teachers’ College), outspoken critic on race, culture, inequality, and education; creator of #HipHopEd social media movement
- Student Summit – Students will have an opportunity to develop a leadership role on sustainability issues in their schools
- Numerous Breakout Session Tracks – Master Speakers, Operations, Place-Based Education, Culture & Creativity, Integrated Curriculum, Whole-School Sustainability, and Community Collaboration
- Food, Equity, and Community Panel – An impressive lineup of speakers will discuss the connections between food policy, food waste, food access, health and nutrition, and childhood hunger
- Thursday Night Celebration (Downtown location TBD) – A party worthy of Pittsburgh, featuring a student cooking competition as part of Project Lunch Tray
- Pre-Conference Sessions (Wednesday March 30) – Experience Environmental Charter School’s culture of sustainability, Chatham University’s Eden Hall campus expeditionary learning, Phipps Conservatory’s Art & Biophilia workshop, and GHSA’s School Sustainability Culture Program
- Building a Garden @ Pittsburgh Brashear High School – Join us on Saturday, April 2nd for the Green Apple Day of Service project, building an internationally-themed garden for the diverse and multicultural community at Brashear HS in Beechview
- Open to students and educators
- Covers some or all of the registration fee for the conference (meals included)
- Unfortunately, we do not have sufficient funds to cover other costs, such as transportation, substitute teachers, etc.
- Open House (Expo Hall): March 31, 4:15-5:15 p.m. - Free! Check out exhibitors, student art, and posters of innovative projects from around the country.
- Keynote Panel - Reshaping School Nutrition at the Local, National, and Global Level: March 31, 5:30-6:30 p.m. - Free!
- GSCE Celebration: March 31, 7:00-10:00 p.m. - At a location TBD near the convention center; $35 payable at the door. More to come!